HISTORY, LEGENDS AND TRADITIONS
Surrounded by a large loop of the Chiascio river, in the territory of Gubbio, in Umbria, the region so called the “green heart of Italy”, on a promontory from which the view arrives up to the Cucco Mount, has been built the Castle of Magrano.
Immerged in an uncontaminated landscape, bordered by woods, grasslands and waters, the history of Magrano is dating back to the middle ages, when it was the heart of the defence of the Commune of Gubbio against Perugia.
In 1391 Melchiorre Montaiti, Lord Magrano, undertook against the Noble Antonio da Montefeltro, Lord of Urbino and Gubbio: Magrano was then severely assaulted with the destruction of its mill (then built again and still existing nowadays) but the soldiers of the Montefeltro family did not succeed to take over the Castle.
In 1431 Magrano moved under the jurisdiction of the Dukes of Montefeltro. Federico da Montefeltro (1422-1482) turned it into his favourite hunting residence; it is said that the Duke was active in the hunting of the fallow deers and wild boars that are still populating the residence; this hunting was always finishing with a banquet during which were appreciated the most precious fruits of this land, among which in particular the truffle.
In 1600 the ownership of the Castle went to the Noble family of the Carpegna, family to which were belonging bishops, cardinals and Priori of various cities in Umbria and Lazio.
In 1830 Magrano becomes the property of the family
that still nowadays is the owner of the residence: more specifically to
the Princess Giulia Bonaparte, daughter of two first grade cousins Zenaide
and Carlo Luciano Bonaparte Prince of Canino, both nephews of Napoleon.